Home Home Administration Administration Help Help About About


8.1.2 Use of University Owned Vehicles

University-owned vehicles are provided for official University business. Responsibility to approve requests by employees for the use of University-owned vehicles is delegated to fiscal agents in accordance with monies budgeted in their accounts for Travel expenses.

University-owned vehicles are to be driven only by licensed University employees (administrators, faculty, graduate assistants, civil service staff, and students working within the scope of their employment). This is interpreted as those employees on a recurring University payroll. Students (other than graduate assistants), past employees and others are not eligible to use University-owned vehicles, except under special circumstances requiring special approval. Special approval must be granted in writing by the fiscal agent requesting the vehicle and authorized by a vice president or his or her designee.

All drivers are required to show a valid drivers license at the time of pick up.  If a license of an individual has not been shown to the Facilities Management Customer Service staff, the individual is not approved to drive.  This is required for EVERY reservation.

If an accident occurs with a driver that has not shown a license, the department and driver is responsible for any damage occurred during that time.

Any trip involving students must have a graduate assistant, faculty or staff member accompany the travel. A University employee must drive the vehicle unless written exception is received from a vice president or designee.

No alcohol or drugs will be consumed in a University vehicle or prior to operating a vehicle.


All traffic violations and citations are the sole responsibility of the driver.

Liability insurance is provided only within the scope of the authorized travel. The primary driver is responsible for the vehicle while it is in his/her care. State of Illinois/Illinois State University coverage does not include the uninsured or underinsured motorist or auto medical expenses incurred while operating a University vehicle.


See the Facilities Management link for more information on reserving a vehicle, etc.

University Administrative Closure Snow Day Regulations:

If Illinois State University is closed due to an official University Administrative Closure for Severe Weather, the Facilities Department will be closed and University rental fleet vehicles may not be utilized.


5.4.2 Automobile Insurance    

General Policy - Insurance for Authorized University Motor Vehicle Travel

Each University Department is responsible for ensuring that all motor vehicle travel is in conformance with the requirements set forth in this procedure. Each department shall designate an individual to be responsible for ensuring that vehicles are adequately covered with the required insurance through at least one of the following for every authorized trip:

  • State of Illinois Self-Insured Motor Vehicle Liability Plan
  • Insurance provided by a valid commercial insurance policy

This policy outlines parameters that define authorized University travel and the specific controls and limitations associated with trips insured by the State of Illinois Automobile Liability Plan or trips insured by a commercial insurance carrier.

Questions regarding insurance coverage and what constitutes "Official State of Illinois business" should be directed to ISU Risk Management.

State of Illinois Automobile Liability Plan

The Risk Management Division of Central Management Services (CMS) administers the State Automobile Liability Plan. The State Plan provides coverage for accidents that occur while an employee is operating a motor vehicle in the scope of his/her employment. The State Plan does not provide collision or comprehensive coverage. ISU Departments that maintain state vehicles with insurance coverage provided through the State Plan are responsible for covering costs to repair physical damage to their vehicle as a result of an accident. Costs can be recovered from the other driver's insurance company if the other driver is at fault, but if the ISU driver is at fault, repairs to the ISU vehicle would be the responsibility of the respective department. Note: Collision/comprehensive insurance can be purchased through the State, if desired. Contact the ISU Risk Manager for guidance on requesting additional insurance.

If an accident occurs while an employee is operating a privately owned vehicle on University business, his or her personal insurance company will be the primary carrier. The State Plan will provide excess coverage after the primary carrier's liability coverage limits have been exhausted. If there is no insurance on the privately owned vehicle (or if coverage does not meet statutory requirements), the driver will be responsible for damages up to the State liability coverage limits. The State Plan only provides excess coverage above these limits. The State Plan provides primary coverage for all state-owned vehicles.

The State Plan provides liability coverage for an employee who is operating a rented vehicle in the course of his or her employment. Property damage coverage will be provided for a rented vehicle if the employee is in official travel status and operating in the scope of his or her employment.

Coverage is also provided for volunteers or other non-state employees while they are operating a state or University owned, or rented vehicle on Official State of Illinois business. To comply with CMS guidelines, written prior approval is required before the volunteer/non-state employee can drive the state, University owned, or rented vehicle. The statement, signed by an individual at the Vice Presidential level, should include:

  • The scope of use
  • The nature of the State of Illinois business
  • The geographic area of travel

Qualifiers established for State of Illinois Automobile Liability Plan Insurance Coverage

The following clarification of coverage for Universities under the State Plan is provided by CMS:

1.        Travel for academic purposes (i.e., studies research and teaching) paid for from University fund sources is covered, so long as the employees' travel is required for the direct benefit of the University and the state.

2.        Travel within the scope of the public service mission of the University (i.e., Meals on Wheels, Peace Meal, etc.) is covered as long as the employee operating the vehicle is doing so in accordance with his or her job description and as long as the employee possesses a valid driver's license.  A volunteer must have proper prior written authorization and a valid driver's license.

3.        Public safety functions, available to all students at no cost (i.e., police, fire, emergency medical, and student safety functions like "Nite Ride"), are covered uses.

4.        All usual and customary business operations of the University are covered under the State Plan.  Any non-employee University contractual obligations requiring vehicle use by or for non-employees will not be provided coverage under the State Plan if the business involves any travel for the benefit of the individual(s) and is not for the direct benefit of the University or the state.

5.        The activity of travel to and from intercollegiate athletic events (i.e., team travel, band, cheerleading squad, development, recruiting, etc.) will be provided coverage as long as the driver is performing the duties as outlined in his or her University job description or is consistent with authorization offered by an appropriate official.

6.        When the activity is approved within Campus Recreation, University Programming, or Housing Offices, vehicles used for social and recreational purposes will be provided coverage only when the entire student body is invited to participate with no charge to the student.  Trips for special group benefit will not be covered unless they are available to all students at no cost.

7.       Coverage is provided for Development and/or Alumni purposes when the activity has a direct functional purpose that serves the Universitys mission. The activity also must be within the job description of the person using the vehicle to be covered.

8.        Coverage is provided for vehicle transportation for internal University academic conferences, seminars, and special events, provided that such an event is sponsored by a University department and further, that there is no charge to the students for such transportation.  Coverage is not provided for University vehicle transportation for external participants attending conferences, seminars, etc., for which a charge is made to attend the event, or an individual fee is assessed, or a trip charge is made to a fund source.

9.        Commuting to and from home is not permitted. However, employees  may use University motor vehicles between their home and place of work if, for example, they are beginning or ending a trip at home due to the hour of arrival or departure.

Authorization for travel that is not covered by the State of Illinois Automobile Liability Plan

If a department conducts business that is authorized by the University (Vice President level), but travel is not approved via the State Automobile Liability Plan, commercial automobile insurance is required.  Examples include Recreation Services trips and Student Affairs travel where:

  • Drivers may not be employees working "within the scope of their employment," and/or
  • The activity may not be considered by the State to be "official University business" and/or
  • Travel by external organizations (i.e., annuitant associations, booster clubs, the credit union, fraternities or sororities, etc.) whose business and purpose is only ancillary to the primary missions of the University.
  • The trip includes students, but a graduate assistant, faculty or staff member does not accompany the travel, and/or
  • Situations where a fee for the trip is charged and/or the activity is not offered to the entire student body.

The University requires all drivers of ISU vehicles (employees and non-employees) to be approved by the commercial insurance company prior to operating the vehicle.

Procedures for an Automobile Accident

In the event of an accident Facilities must be notified immediately, by calling the Fleet Dispatcher during business hours or Illinois State University Police Department after hours. A copy of the SR-1 form must also be turned in to the Facilities Fleet Dispatcher as soon as possible upon return.

The SR-1 form is to be completed and delivered to the Risk Manager (Mail Code 1270, 309-438-1900) within three (3) days. .In the event of severe bodily injury, death, or substantial property damage, report directly to the states Risk Management office (217-782-0202).  If the state driver is incapable of completing the report, the immediate supervisor should do so.  Please pay special attention to:

A.      Recording Owner of Vehicle

1.        State owned If Illinois State University is the owner of the vehicle, under "Insurance" please enter "State of Illinois Self-Insured Motor Vehicle Liability Plan".

2.        Privately owned or leased - Complete all driver and owner information and under "Insurance" list information on your personal carrier.

B.       Obtain social security numbers of all passengers.

Inform the third party to contact the:  

Department of Central Management Services 
Risk Management Division - Auto Liability Section 
201 East Madison Street
3rd Floor, North Wing 
Springfield, IL  62706
Phone: (217-782-0202) or (800-442-1300, ext. 4)

In addition to the completed SR-1 form, provide the following information in a report to Risk Management (Mail Code 1320, Room 202, Nelson Smith Building):

  • Social security number
  • Work title of employee
  • Daytime phone number for employee
  • Police report copy if available
  • Brief written statement of how accident occurred
  • Traffic controls present
  • Weather conditions
  • Any traffic citations issued
  • Other extenuating circumstances

The above information should be made available to anyone who might be driving a vehicle on University business.

5.1.1 Concealed Carry and Prohibited Weapons Policy


Illinois State University is committed to a safe and secure environment for the University community and its guests. The University established this Concealed Carry and Prohibited Weapons Policy pursuant to the 2013 Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act (430 ILCS 66 et seq.) and its enabling regulations and other University policy. The purpose of this policy is to establish restrictions on possession, storage, and/or concealed carry of firearms and weapons on University property as defined below.


This policy applies to all University employees (faculty and staff), students, and visitors. The University maintains a Weapons and Firearms-Free policy for all University Property. All persons covered by this policy, unless authorized by law or a specific exception in this policy, are prohibited:

  1. From possessing, storing, carrying, or unlawfully using any weapon or firearm on University property or in any vehicle owned, leased or controlled by the University, even if that person has a valid federal or state license to possess or carry a firearm.
  2. From displaying, brandishing, discharging, or otherwise using any and all weapons or firearms, including concealed weapons or firearms.

All persons covered by this policy must follow and are subject to any other applicable state or federal laws, and/or University policies including but not limited to the University Violence Policy (5.1.19).


The carrying or use of a firearm will be permitted in the following circumstances only if all criteria are met:

  1. Instruction and curriculum of officially recognized programs, including but not limited to military science; or
  2. The firearm is carried by an on duty law enforcement officer required to carry a weapon or firearm as a condition of his or her employment; the firearm is carried by an enforcement officer from an external agency conducting official business on University property; or any other exception is deemed necessary as determined by the ISU Chief of Police; or
  3. A concealed firearm may be stored within a personally owned vehicle only in certain unrestricted parking areas on campus and only if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The individual has a valid conceal and carry permit; and
  • There is not a posted sign at the entry to the parking lot that prohibits concealed firearms in the parking lot; and
  • The firearm and its ammunition is concealed in a case within the locked vehicle ("case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container) OR the firearm and/or its ammunition is concealed in a locked container out of plain view within the vehicle; and
  • If the person removes the concealed firearm from the vehicle, it must first be unloaded inside the vehicle, and it may only be removed for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving it from the trunk of the vehicle.

Prohibited Activities

Illinois State University is committed to a safe and secure environment for all employees, students, and visitors. Pursuant to the University Violence Policy (5.1.19), conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person, or creates a reasonable fear that such a result will occur, including but not limited to: acts of violence, threats of violence, threatening behavior, reckless disregard for the health or safety of any person, and/or possession of weapons(s) on University property without proper written authorization or within a specific exception in this policy are not acceptable conduct at Illinois State University and will not be tolerated.

Prohibited Weapons

All weapons, including but not limited to a concealed firearm/handgun are prohibited on any University property unless all provisions of a firearms exception above are met, the weapon is used for a specially authorized purpose of instruction, research, and service approved in writing by the Chief of Police, or the weapon is authorized for use by an employee in the ordinary course of employment (e.g. an on duty law enforcement officer).

Prohibited weapons include but are not limited to:

  1. Firearm, Handgun, Firearm ammunition, BB gun, pellet gun, paintball gun (except with prior written approval from the Chief of Police), tear gas gun, stun, taser, or other dangerous or deadly device of similar type;
  2. Knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length (except an ordinary eating utensil), dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, ax, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of similar type;
  3. Bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, sandbag, sand club, metal knuckles, billy club, throwing star, nunchaku, or other dangerous or deadly weapon of similar type;
  4. Bomb, bombshell, grenade, firework, bottle, or other container containing an explosive, toxic, or noxious substance, unless under academic/classroom supervision, (other than an object containing a nonlethal noxious liquid, gas, or substance designed solely for personal defense possessed by a person 18 years of age or older);
  5. Souvenir weapon or other weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperative; and any weapons outlined in the Illinois Compiled Statutes on Armed Violence (720 ILCA 5/33A-1, et seq.)


Knowledge of violations of this policy should be reported to the Illinois State University Police and your supervisor. In their absence or in the case of emergency, the University Police (911) should be contacted.

Violations of this policy by students or employees will be considered "misconduct" and will subject the student or employee to discipline, up to and including expulsion or discharge/termination/dismissal as well as potential criminal prosecution.

Violations of this policy by visitors will subject the visitor to removal/restriction from any and all property owned, leased or controlled by the University, on a temporary or permanent basis as well as potential criminal prosecution.

University Police Department personnel may refer suspected violations of law to appropriate law enforcement authorities, and provide access to investigative or other data as permitted by law.



As required by state and federal law, the Illinois State University Chief of Police and/or Illinois State University President or his designee will report to the Department of State Police within 24 hours any student who is determined to pose a clear and present danger to himself/herself or others.



Concealed firearm - means loaded or unloaded handgun (any device which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas, or escape of gas that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand) carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

University property - Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned, leased, or controlled by the University, and /or where University programs, activities, and classes are held. This includes but is not limited to any University owned or leased vehicles, real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, any buildings, real property and parking areas used by or for Laboratory Schools, and common areas owned, leased, or under control of the University.



Privacy Statement  •  Feedback
Copyright © 2017 Agile Access Control, Inc. All rights reserved.